Upgrading to Shimano 105 Part III

Next up were the brake callipers which came preassembled with the brake blocks so pretty easy with just the single bolt fitting torqued up to 10Nm. Like the derailleurs, these brake callipers come in lighter than the Sora versions and they have an all round better look and feel to them.IMG_2544

Alongside the 105 group-set I bought a full set of Jagwire road pro cables.  The ones that came with the group-set were fine but the Jagwire kit just shouted quality and by all accounts the brakes in particular can be expected to perform better with these cables.  They are pre-lubricated and finished with teflon and the outer shells have silicon lube inside. The cable ends are designed for maximum performance and they come with both types so you can use them on Shimano or other levers.  First job was to remove the cables that came with the levers.  With the Sora levers this looked tricky but with the 105s it’s a piece of cake.  Depress the lever and the brake cable can be pulled straight out of the front.  For the shifter cable pull back the hoods and there is a useful little plastic cap that comes away to provide access to the cable which can be pushed through and out of the other side.  Replacing with the Jagwire was just as simple.IMG_2570 IMG_2571Here it’s clear that the Jagwire brake cable is superior to the original one in the first picture.  The metal casing extends for about 8 inches and eases the cable operation around the bend of the handlebar. The set comes with different sizes and types of cable fitting to suit just about any bike and the feel once fitted is just great.

Having installed the cables the next step was to route the cables to the brakes and derailleurs and put on the bar tape.  One little gotcha – while doing this I tried shifting the gears and they would go up fine but wouldn’t come down.  The issue was that if the hoods are folded back as in the photo above then the small shift lever was restricted and the cable couldn’t relax.   Getting the cable length right was also a bit tricky and took a couple of attempts.  The aim is to be able to have 60 degrees of front wheel travel from straight ahead on either side with no tight spots or pulling of the inner cable. In the end I think i got a reasonably neat looking setup.IMG_2591

So, with the wheels fitted with Continental All-weather tyres and the derailleurs tuned up that’s me done.  The bike started out at 9.9Kg and now weighs in at 8.4Kg.  I think most of the weight loss is due to the Fulcrum wheels which just look great if I do say so myself. Next step – get out on the road for a test ride.

IMG_2587

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solve this: *